Friday, March 15, 2013

Feral IR Sensor - IN DESIGN

While I'm waiting on some new parts for the Echo Base to come in, I've made some progress with the Feral IR Sensor.  And I'm happy to announce that it's now moved to the "IN DESIGN" phase. This device is designed for creature/Zombie games where the individual wearing it is not assigned to a team, but simply prowls around - converting others by a simple tap on the back.

Now I'm trying to come up with a cost effective and (hopefully) easy way to encase the components.  The trick is finding a way to attach the sensor to a person.  I was thinking of a head band at first, but the person wearing it needs to see the device for visual feedback - and it's really difficult to see lights on your head.  I've also thought of something that can fit on your wrist, but I can't seem to come up with a cheep LED wrist device that I can mod.

The one promising candidate I've got is a bike flasher that I'm thinking of creating a Velcro strap that a person would wear around his chest.  I'm not too sure how cumbersome this would be, but I've come across some really cost effective parts to test this concept out.

I'm also considering adding a jack/plug to the design, so all a zombie has to do is pull out the plug to convert others into Zombies.  I don't want to loose the plugs, so I'm thinking of attaching the plug to the sensor with a wire or string to keep everything together.

More testing and experiments in order.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

playitbyear2001 said...

I LOVE this idea! Zombie games would be a blast. Is a LTHQ needed with the Feral IR Sensor, or will it be possible to ship the sensor pre-programmed with the random parameters (like in your video of the prototype)?

Jammer said...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about your comment.

No - you will not need an LTHQ for the Feral IR Sensor. It will come already programmed with the random parameters.