Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Echo Base Schematic

I'm putting this out here for feedback from anyone.  Here is the current schematic for Echo Base - along with a parts list.

The main problem I'm having is with power.  When I use a standard 9volt battery, it works fine for a while, then after some use it begins to behave erratically.  When I use 6-cell AAs the entire device goes crazy and flashes lights in a wild crazy pattern.  However when I use the 5volts from an Arduino development board (powered by a laptop's USB) - everything runs fine (except for the small software bug that I'm on the prowl, and should have it fixed soon). 

If you have any comments and/or suggestions on how to improve this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!


Parts list:

LED 1 (RED): C566C-RFN-CT0W0BB2
LED 2 (GREEN): C566C-GFN-CV0Z0792
LED 3 (BLUE): C566C-BFN-CS0W0352
LED 4 (AMBER): C566C-AFN-CU0W0252
IR LED: TSAL7600
IR RECEIVER: TSOP32338SS1V
RESONATOR: 16 MHZ 5V AWCR-16.00MD
R1: 62 OHMS
C1 & C2: 16VOLTS 10uF
VOLTAGE REGULATOR: L7805ABV
MC: ATMEGA328P


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see anything in your schematic that needs voltage regulation. Use a 3xAA pack to provide 4.5V and set the chip to brown out shutdown around 2 or 3V. This is done in the avr fuses to preserve the eeprom.

You will need to keep one of the capacitors across the + and gnd wires near the processor. The second capacitor and regulator chip can be removed.